Menu

Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe – Belgrade Forum

0 Comment

Save Topic

Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
24 March 2014, 19:51

I am planning to fly from the U.S. to Munich, Germany for a three-week vacation. I want to rent a car in Munich but drive it into Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina among other countries. However, the first two rental car companies I contacted (Auto Europe, Budget) have restrictions that prevent me from driving the car into much of Eastern Europe.

How does one go about renting a car from outside these Eastern European countries INTO Eastern European Countries??

I’ve never had to rent into the balkans so not entirely sure what’s best but would suggest it’s trial and error, you do need to accept it’s expensive and a lot depends if you are returning the car back to Munich or wanting to drop it elsewhere.

As you have already been snubbed by a couple of companies I’d suggest making contact with car hire companies in Belgrade, go to the airport website for a list and here are some options on this site:

I would magine companies based in Belgrade will be able to put you in contact with a Munich pick-up though this is only my guess. If they are difficult it might be a option to rent from Munich and drop in Lubijana, picking up nother rental for the next leg.

Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
25 March 2014, 11:23

Thanks. My current plan is to pickup and return the car to Munich. The reason being is that I can fly non-stop from Los Angeles to Munich. However, if I can’t get a rental from Munich that will allow me to drive it into Serbia and other eastern European countries I might just fly into Belgrade and begin the trip from there. Hopefully I can drive a Serbian based rental car INTO western European countries!

Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
25 March 2014, 14:27

Hopefully one of those Belgrade based firms can help you hire out of Munich with one of their partners.

Good luck

Stoofer

Report inappropriate content

Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
05 May 2014, 13:39

I would imagine that you have a car already but actually AutoEurope can rent a car that goes through Romania, Bulgaira and Serbia (that three that become a problem). But you have to press them and mention insurance riders that are available. I’m doing the same thing in May/June and it costs about $1400 for a compact car -unlimited mileage through AutoEurope. Otherwise, if they won’t give you a price than contact Gemut.com (in California) and they specialize in these type of rentals.

Dragoslav S
Belgrade, Serbia

3 posts
Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
03 December 2014, 15:00

My suggestion is rent a car at the airport in Belgrade www.rentacarmenadzer.com. Rent a Car Belgrade. MANAGER EXPRESS – Very professional car rental agencies at the airport in Belgrade.

Report inappropriate content

Elija K
Atlanta, Georgia

1 post
Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
05 December 2014, 10:06

Hi,

I have made that kind of trip twice and rented a car from Budget Rental at Munich Airport and a few years later at the Budget Rental at Frankfurt Airport.

Those trips were made back in late 1980’s. I paid a bit extra for insurance premiums. Each trip was for over 5,000 km at only daily rental cost.

Trip routing by one of the replying persons was right on the money. Incredible views and beauty of then country of Yugoslavia.

Report inappropriate content

Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
09 December 2014, 14:30

Ranlay – Which car rental company did you end up going with? I’m going to do a similar trip next summer – flying to Munich or Vienna and planning to visit Bosnia and Serbia – but I’m seeing a lot of restrictions with car rentals and expensive car insurance.

Trx M
Vienna, Austria

Level
Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
01 June 2015, 10:36

any up-to-date info on this topic?

Report inappropriate content

Re: Driving rental cars from Germany to Eastern Europe
01 June 2015, 11:52

Thx a lot for the tip!

Report inappropriate content

Top questions about
Belgrade

• When is the best time to visit?
  • Is it worth visiting Belgrade?
Belgrade Destination Experts
Stooferuk

14,421 forum posts

Members who are extremely knowledgeable about this destination and answer travellers’ questions frequently.